Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Goals Update

My goal setting session with Dr. Kate was a really cool experience. I guess I went into it like "goal setting, yeah I've done this before, I know what this is about" but it really was a different experience with her and I have to say, I really liked it!

The first hour was a regular session, talking about my week and everything. I had brought along my newly printed scrapbook pages so she could see some in person. Since she is so supportive and encouraging of my hobby and of me making more time for it, I thought she'd like to see the end result. I told her not to feel like she had to look through them all, that I just wanted her to get the idea. Well she ended up looking through all of them and she loved them and kept saying "I totally get this now! I get what it's all about." It just made me feel really good.

I also told her I was ready to start incorporating regular exercise and I was going to be looking at gyms to figure out which gym had everything I wanted. I ended up choosing Lifetime Fitness, and I'll do a separate post all about that :)

So now onto the goals!

I brought the list I had made, which I shared in my last post. She also had worksheets ready for me to lead me through the goal setting.

Surprisingly, the first step was to reflect on LAST YEAR. Why have I never thought of doing that before? She led me through a visualization of being in my own private movie theater and watching the past year of my life on the screen. It sounds cheesy but it was actually really easy to visualize, and led me to some new realizations! During it she asked me these questions and when I was done I wrote down the answers.


What were your top three successes last year?
1. Wedding planning and maintaining relationships through it / not fighting or being bridezilla :)
2. Prepping and selling our house
3. Facing my problems and choosing to start therapy

What were your top three challenges?
1. Erradicating bad friendships from my life
2. Figuring out who I am and how I fit with my husband
3. Prepping the house for sale and moving

What helped you to overcome these challenges?
The close people in my life - Ian, Sarah, my parents... they were there for me and helped me through these things.


What is the primary message or lesson from your past year's experiences?
This was the most surprising part. When she asked me this I actually SAW the words "trust me" come across the "movie screen"... it was incredible. Something buried in my subconscious that I wasn't aware of. I get the feeling the trust me implied two things - trust myself more, that I know what's best for myself and how to make decisions, and trust my friends and family more, that they will be there for me, help me through things, and still be there no matter what decision I make. They will support me.
So "TRUST" is my word for this year!

Now it was time for the next visualization... back in the movie theater, directing and starring in my own movie of what I want this year to be, and I can make it be whatever I want.


Describe the movie in as much detail as possible, as if it is REAL NOW. This is what I see...
I see myself healthier, thinner, with a smile always on my face. I'm less stressed because I know how to balance my needs and my responsibilities. I am happy with my husband and love is increasing even more as we spend more time together at more activities. I strive to reach my career goals and I'm successful at them and am able to contribute financially to my relationship again.


Now break your vision down into specific areas:

HEALTH/BEAUTY
exercising regularly, eating more healthfully, cooking more
massages, mani/pedis, self care

WEALTH/CAREER
finish school, start businesses, contribute financially

FAMILY/FRIENDS
trust them, spend time with them, keep up long distance friendships
keep improving communication & togetherness with my husband

TRAVEL/FUN
fun weekend activities with husband, get out more
keep taking pics and scrapbooking
take trips back to chicago
plan trips with hubby


NEXT STEP was to break all of these goals down into yearly goals, then determining what is at 6 months, monthly, weekly, daily from that point. Then I would reevaluate weekly goals each week, monthly goals each month, etc throughout the year!

ONE YEAR GOALS:
- Daily exercise
- Mostly whole foods, little processed
- School is done
- Doing web design
- Activities out w/ husband 2 weekends per month
- Two trips to Chicago
- Go on scrapbooking retreat

SIX MONTH GOALS (July):
- Daily exercise
- Adding more whole foods
- Improving cooking skills
- Final stretch with school
- Researching job opportunitis
- 2x per month activities with husband
- trips are completed

ONE MONTH GOALS:
- join gym
- fix wii acessories (for wii fit)
- 3x per week exercise
- only one night eating out each week
- continue with school schedule
- one weekend out with hubby
- get trips scheduled
- get massage, have ian get one too
- manicure

WEEKLY GOALS:
- join gym
- 3 days of exercise
- cook, keep groceries stocked
- catch up on school
- plan a weekend with ian for sometime soon
- schedule my trips

DAILY GOALS:
- school
- preparing foods
- is it an exercise day?


How am I doing so far?
I'm happy to report that as I type this and it's been about 5 days since setting these goals, I am right on tack!! On the daily level I've been doing school, making dinners at home except for one dinner out, and exercising. On the weekly level, I've already joined the gym, grocery shopped and am going again today, and scheduled one of my trips (and very close to scheduling the other.) Also a long talk with my best friend so that goes toward maintaining long distance friendships. My other friend is visiting me this weekend too :)

So I am planning use this blog when I want to sit down and reevaluate my weekly or monthly goals!
I have a phone session with Dr. Kate tomorrow and will be happy to give her this good report :)
I'll be back soon with a gym update, but if I don't get to it tomorrow it won't be til next week since my friend is visiting me Friday - Tuesday.

2 comments:

  1. sounds like a very positive experience! I think it will be great that you have it all written down here too, so in 3 months, 6 months, etc you can look back and see how far you have come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy your blog! Your progress is helping to motivate me.

    ReplyDelete