I went to Target last night and came home with this haul:

The two blue bowls (these match our current set of dishes!!) hold about 1 1/2 cups. This is way too much for early on but since they match our dishes I went ahead and got them. They can also be useful for dip, salsa, etc when we are entertaining.
The clear bubble glass bowls hold about 1/2 cup each (it varies slightly because they are hand blown glass and not uniform.)
The melamine white square bowls hold 1/2 cup, and the matching plates are little appetizer plates.
The rubbermaid containers will be great for Ian to take things to work, or for anytime we have to pack snacks when we are out all day. The small ones are 1/2 cup capacity and the larger are 1 1/4 cup.
For reference, here is me holding the 1/2 cup rubbermaid and the 1/2 cup glass bowl:


And now for some shocking comparisons!!
Here is our current cereal/soup bowl, compared to the smaller dip bowl (which is 3x more than we'll be eating for a while ANYWAY.)

Here's a stack - current dinner plate, salad plate, bowl, and new smaller bowl.

So crazy to think that right now I can fill that large dinner plate and after surgery that tiny bowl will be much too big.

This one is the current dinner plate, salad plate, and new small appetizer plate.
Now for the rubbermaid containers. In back is a current one that we could easily eat that amount and in front are the new smaller ones.

I think seeing all of this was an important step in the mental and emotional preparation of what is about to happen. Ian said it was really pretty shocking to him to see the difference in what we will be eating. I tried to reassure him that the reason it works is you will actually be full on this amount!
I think it's just very interesting. I had a good idea of what 1/2 cup was (I picked out the little bowls assuming they were 1/2 cup and turned out I was right)... but what shocked me was comparing to the current size dishes we have and what we are able to eat. This is going to be a drastic change indeed.
You are right, when you put it that way when you're eyes can register to the brain, it's a little shocking. Very interesting indeed!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sending me the link to your blog! I need to read back a bit and get caught up with you!!!!
ReplyDelete