Friday, May 14, 2010

Stocking Up

I'm getting stocked up on everything I'm going to need pre-op, in the hospital, and post op. It's actually been fun!

Firstly I went to Vitamin Shoppe. I needed to find a good adult chewable multivitamin, as well as sub-lingual B-12 vitamins (they dissolve under the tongue). The first few weeks after surgery it would be difficult to take regular vitamins (the pills are sooo big) so the chewables are good... and there is some reason why my B-12's have to be sub lingual (that's for life.) Anyway here is what I ended up with:

Vitamins!

Also at the Vitamin Shoppe I purchased these Isopure protein drinks. The day before surgery, and for a week after, I have to be on clear liquids only. Water, broth, etc. Can't do protein shakes during that time so these clear protein drinks are a great option. I bought one of each flavor so Ian and I can both try them and decide which flavors we are going to want cases of.

Isopure Bottled Protein Drinks

I also went to Target and scored a TON of awesome stuff that I think is going to be so helpful! First I'll start with the stuff that is for surgery / time in the hospital. I got some of these to try for keeping my mouth feeling nice and fresh.

Colgate Wisps

I also got some beano meltaways (people say there is a lot of gas after surgery because of air they put into your stomach). I also got a few travel size toiletries that I'd like to have.

Now for post-op stuff! This is the stuff I think is so fun and I'm really excited about it :)

I got this cool set of containers in the toddler section. It's nice and small for tiny meals. I also got a small lunch box for it to go in:

New Lunch Box and Food Containers

(I got my husband the same dish set in blue, and a small lunch box for him too.)

Then I found this totally awesome thermos food jars!!!

Thermos Food Jar

Pink Thermos Food Jar

Thermos Food Jar Description

They hold up to 10 ounces (won't need that much, but it's still nice and small) and they keep foods cold for up to 7 hours and hot for up to 5 hours. So excited about these. I found this nice plain one for my husband:

Ian's Thermos Food Jar

Also, my friend Brandy recommended these sippy cups to me, made by Nalgene:

Nalgene Sippy Cups

After surgery you have to take such small sips of liquid (if you take a big sip or gulp it can make you throw up or just be really uncomfortable.) This will help us regulate that and take small sips. They hold 12 ounces of liquid. I got purple for me and blue for my husband. :)

I'm almost done getting everything we need! I know this may seem overboard to a lot of people but I'm a planner, and having everything I think might make our transition easier just makes me feel a lot more comfortable and prepared. Plus, finding cute useful things just makes me feel more excited about the whole thing. I was so glad that my husband really liked everything I picked out for him, too!

All I need now is my protein powders from Max Muscle (hope to find those this weekend) and a food journal for tracking my intake after surgery. I am going to the bookstore with my friend Wednesday (the day before surgery) and if I don't find one I like better, I'm going to try Flogg Daily. OR, I might stick with an iphone app instead, just haven't decided yet.

I am a little nervous about the surgery, but somehow doing all of this lifted my spirits. I guess I really like feeling prepared :)

7 comments:

  1. Looks like you are way, way ahead of me in preparation for surgery. I too am having the sleeve on the 20th. When is your husbands date? The 20th also? If so, WOW.
    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christie, I shopped for things with the same sort of attitude. Why should everything look so clinical? If you have to get the items anyway, get the fun ones! It looks like you are well prepared. I hope everything goes perfect for you and your hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those thermo food jars are REALLY cool, like even I want one!! Hahaha! It's almost here!!! I'm excited for you guys!!! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jerry - My husband's date will most likely be June 3rd but it's not 100% certain yet, he is still waiting for a call back to confirm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maddie - thanks! Yeah the fun stuff helps :) hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah - Aren't they awesome? You should get one for sure :) They are about $20 but I think with them being Thermos brand they will be worth the money.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You got some awesome stuff, Christie! I agree, shopping for fun new stuff to use helps with the excitement level when preparing for a life-changing experience. Kinda like shopping for a new baby when you don't quite know exactly what it's like having a new baby (kinda, sorta,lol!)

    ReplyDelete