Thursday, June 10, 2010

3 Weeks Post Op

Yesterday was my 3 week post op appointment. Again, it wasn't with my surgeon, just the nurse. Sigh. I am pretty sure at this point that the surgeon's business is too big for his own good as I rarely see him for anything and things around there are so confusing. Regardless, it was a really good appointment still. Of course the first order of business was the weigh-in:

This is 10 lbs lost since my 1 week appointment. I am definitely happy with that. I have been really working my tail off making the right food choices, getting in all my protein, getting in all my water, and going for my walks. My total loss now in 3 weeks is:


Whoo hoo! I'll take it. It's tough not to wish it was an even 30 but really, in the past it could take me 3 months to lose this much weight, so I will not complain ;)

I asked her all of my questions... the pain in my stomach is most likely caused by scar tissue. She says I probably pulled it away from my abdominal wall when I felt like I "pulled the muscle"... my aunt had told me the exact same thing (from her own previous experience) so with two sources I'm going to believe it I guess lol. I just hope it stops hurting soon.

As for strength training, I am supposed to wait until 6 weeks to do any. She said if I REALLY want to do some, no more than 5 pounds, but she would prefer if I just wait. Swimming on the other hand, I can do as soon as my incisions are healed up. I'm guessing another week to week and a half for that. I would really love to do some swimming, and that would be a good way to be getting an arm workout without lifting weights.

Also I mentioned that my back pain is out of control and the prescription the surgeon gave me at my last visit (for Ultram) didn't do anything to help. She suggested Celebrex, but said I need to go to my PCP to get that prescribed. So sometime soon I'll have to get an appointment for that. She said it's the only NSAID that is okay to take for whatever reason... sounds good to me.

As for Ian, he had his one week appointment and got his drain pulled. He did better with that than I did lol. He has been walking the past few days and eating his soft food diet of yogurt, cottage cheese, refried beans and egg beaters. His pain is getting better but he is actually having a harder time than I did and needed a refill on his oxycodone. We both thought he would heal faster than I did but that hasn't been the case so far. But the good news is the medicine is really helping him. He even worked from home for 6 hours today.

As for his weigh in, in his first week he lost:


16 pounds! Yay for my honey!

We also had to go to new nutrition courses this week. Ian went to his one-week class but we BOTH went to the 3 week class, so he doesn't have to go back to that later. Unfortunately when we tried to go we were running late (their fault, not ours) and then we get to the elevators and they are not functioning. So we had to hike up SIX flights of stairs to make it to class. In our shape this was really hard. I did okay, but Ian is only one week out so it really took all of his energy. Of course after class, when we had to go DOWN, the elevators were working. LOL. Oh well, I guess we burned some extra calories :)

I am really looking forward to doing my one month photos and measurements and making some comparisons!! 10 days to go! I have so much more to blog about but I'm so behind... more posts coming soon.

1 comment:

  1. sounds like you and your hubby are doing great! congrats on the pounds loss! And yeah, in 6 months, I have NEVER my surgeon past the day of surgery!! Always the Nurse Practitioner....crazy isn't it? Although, when I have questions, she's the one I call. I realize that he knows how to cut people up, but she's the after-care lady!

    ReplyDelete