Monday, June 7, 2010

Walkmeter iPhone App

I don't know if I would call this a review, as I haven't really gotten into all of the features or anything. But I did want to share this app because I tried it out today and I really really like it. I wish I had been using it since my first walk, especially since I already had it on my phone... but I just didn't think about it and I'm kicking myself now! I wish I could compare and see how much progress I've made in the last two weeks.

Anyway so here it is - Walkmeter for iPhone and iPod Touch.

When I start my walk I just hit "start." It paused when I stopped to take a picture, and then I just had to hit start again, and it kept it all as one walk. When I was finished with my walk I clicked "done", and this is what I saw:


How awesome! I see the length of my walk, my average pace, the distance I covered, and the calories burned (based on my weight which I input in the settings.) If you look at the bottom of the picture you can see I'm on the "stopwatch" screen. Then I clicked over to the "map" screen.


Now how awesome is this. My walk - on a map. It even shows my starting point (the green bubble), and the points where I hit 1 mile and 2 miles. Mile markers! This for some reason amazed me lol.

I then saved this route, calling it Fox Run Figure 8... it makes me think of a figure 8 because I start in the middle, loop to one side, returning and then looping the other side and coming back to my starting point. Next is the calendar screen...


This is another one of my favorite features. It will keep all of your walks on a calendar. You can store a year's worth of walks (or runs!) and look back at every single walk you have done. As you can see above this shows the recap of pace, time, distance, and the name of the route. If I click the arrow for that walk, I get to see all of the stats:


I love that I can look back on all of this stuff for any walk, not to mention that I will automatically have a calendar of all the days I have walked. I also think the graphs are so much fun, seeing my elevation changes and my pace fluctuations. The huge spike at the end was the last couple of minutes when I slowed way down to cool down. I realized I should probably stop the clock before I do that because it probably drags down my 'average pace'. My usual pace was more like 18 min/mile but at that end part was 33 min/mile so it gave me an average of 21 min/mile. It is just going to be so much fun to see how I progress in my walking. I have already gotten so much better in just two weeks. The first day it took me 30 minutes to walk just one tiny portion of this walk and now look at me :) whoo hooo.

I think this app is really neat and I have lots more playing around to do with it but I wanted to share in case anyone else has an iPhone and could benefit from this! I believe it is $4.99 in the app store.

6 comments:

  1. OooOO I like! This looks like a cool app!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool!! I want that app!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Love this app...gonna go download it to my iphone right now:-) Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa in Southern CaliforniaJune 8, 2010 at 9:46 AM

    That is so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea I'm definitely going to load this app. It looks like it's worth the 5 bucks! Thanks Christie :-)

    ReplyDelete